Sketches are a map for planning your scrapbooking layouts. Select a sketch for the number of photos you have and start scrapping.
When first starting with sketches, find ones which have examples of how the design team has interpreted the sketch. This will help you see how much variety can be achieved with one sketch e.g.
- you can change a large photo into 2 smaller ones or 4 thumbnails and vice versa
- in multiple photo sketches, photos can be swapped for a journaling block or paper mats
- smaller photos can be swapped for embellishments and vice versa
- swap embellishments and titles
- a straight edged mat can be scalloped, torn, inked, doubled, curled, border punched, edged with ribbon, corner punched, be an outline, sewn, a frame, doily etc.
- photos can be plain, matted, have multiple mats, inked, curled, torn, landscape, portrait, straight on the page or angled, corner punched, replaced with a mat, tags or journaling block, a postcard, color or black and white or sepia
- a 12”x12” can be converted into a 8”x8” or 6”x6” or A4 or vice versa
- sketches can be flipped vertically or horizontally or rotated (900, 1800 or 2700) to get different variations (this also allows you to use a sketch with landscape photos if you have portrait photos)
- if you like a particular design team member, you can also visit their blog – there is usually a link on the website.
Below are a list of sketch sites for you to visit:
- this year Allison Davis has started a great sketch per month with a different variation for each week of the month – scroll down and look at the right hand side for sketches and variations
- Michelle at Choubox Scrapbook Designs suggests ways of using your scraps to make templates for planning your scrapbook pages. At the link she discusses how she plans a page and how she saves lots of money by using her scraps to make templates. She gives you the number and dimensions of the templates, so you can try it for yourself
- Creative Scrappers – is a great sketch blog. The best way to view the sketches with layouts is under ‘Reveals’ or ‘Post Labels’ just under the number of photos
- 4×6 Photo Sketch Blog - scroll down the right hand side to ‘Labels’ and select the number of photos on a page
- Got Sketch – look at the right hand side for the ‘Sketch Index’
- Inspired Blueprints – has lots of great sketches and really beautiful examples of layouts, inspired by the sketch
- Kaisercraft – the challenge page shows the sketches and the layouts they inspired
- Leisha’s Page Plans has a menu on the left hand side to select size of page or tag sketches
- Let’s Capture These Sketches – lots of sketches – scroll down the right hand side to find ‘Labels’ and select the number of photos and size of page
- sketches from My Little Sketch Blook
- Page Maps – links to sketches or maps across the top of the page
- Pencil Lines – an awesome sketch blog. You’ll find hundreds of sketches you can use for inspiration. ‘Categories’ are on the left hand side.
- Pieces of Me – Buggahuna’s gallery at scrapbook.com – awesome sketches
- Scrapbooks Etc has over 200 sketches divided into ‘Categories’ by size and number of photos
- Scrapburbia – this blog site has lots of sketches and plenty with multiply photo layouts. To find them, scroll down the left hand side to ‘Categories’
- Scrap Sketches by Moma – this blog has lots of very useable sketches for scrapbooking but I also think it would be very useful for generating ideas for cards. You can navigate on the right hand side under the number of photos or through the ‘Archive’
- Sketches by Jana Eubank – scroll down the left hand side to ‘Labels’ to select the number of photos in the sketch. Jana also has layout examples for most of her sketches
- Sketches By Tamara lots of sketches and a mixture of challenges - a layout sketch, a card sketch, a recipe challenge (you are given a list of things to include) and a journaling challenge (given a topic to journal about). It also has lots of examples from the design team. You can navigate by finding ‘Labels’ down the right hand side of the page
- Sketch Inspiration – this is a great sketch site. Tabs across the top – “Sketches’ for sketches (funnily enough!) and ‘Gallery’ to see examples of layouts using the sketches (you’ll need to sign up to view these)
- Sketch It Out – the last blog for this site was February 2011, but still is a great resource for sketches. Scroll down the right hand side and under ‘Labels’ you can click on the number of photos. (Some also have layouts with them)
- Sketch Savvy – lots of sketches and examples to look through. Navigate through the ‘Blog Archive’
- Sketchy Thursdays and Sketchy Thursdays Archives – sketches and layouts
- So Sketchy – although this blog has finished, you’ll still find lots of great sketches for inspiration under ‘Labels’ on the right hand side as you scroll down
- Stickers’N’Fun – this site has over 1000 sketches for you to choose from but no examples. This page hasn’t been updated since September 2009 but still has heaps of great sketches
- Stuck Sketches – this is a good site but can only be navigated by scrolling through posts at the moment
- Write.Click.Scrapbook. - sketches (lots of other cool things as well – just click on home and then scroll down the right hand side to the ‘Categories’)